’Cats defeat Gators, advance to semifinals

catsvsgators (800x543).jpg
    Jordan Semple attempts a shot against San Francisco State during a regular season game in Acker Gym. Photo credit: Annie Paige

The Chico State men’s basketball team began the California Collegiate Athletic Association Championship Tournament with a 78-66 victory over San Francisco State.

The first game of the tournament did not start how the ‘Cats had hoped. Chico State was held to a season-low 25 points in the first half and trailed the Gators 27-25.

The ‘Cats went 7-19 from the field in the first half and 3-9 from beyond the arch. San Francisco State also outrebounded Chico State 22-12. However, the second half would be a different story.

In a game where Chico State was held to a season-low, they would come out in the second half and score a season-high 53 points. Rashad Parker scored 20 of his 26 points during that offensive explosion for the ‘Cats. Chico State would outscore the Gators 53-39 and get a third win over San Francisco State this season.

Chico State improved to 21-6 overall and move on to face Cal Poly Pomona, a team that has beaten the ‘Cats in the last six meetings. Most recently, the Broncos came back in the regular season finale from 18 points to spoil senior night at Acker Gym.

Rashad Parker led Chico State with 26 points, while Giordano Estrada added 16. Amir Carraway finished with 13 points and Jordan Semple grabbed 11 rebounds with 8 points as well.

The third-seeded Chico State will face No. 2 seed Cal Poly Pomona Friday at 2:35 p.m. with the hopes of making it to a third straight CCAA Championship Tournament title game.

Sergio Sanchez can be reached at [email protected] or
    @sergechez on Twitter.