’Cats split Friday doubleheader against Toros

The Chico State softball team gets pumped up before Friday’s doubleheader against Cal State Dominguez Hills. Photo credit: Angelo Boscacci

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsm2Vnh1Z1M&feature;=youtu.be

The Chico State WIldcats softball team split a doubleheader Friday against the Cal State Dominguez Hills Toros. Chico lost the first game 9-0, then came back with a vengeance winning game two 7-0.

The first game started off with the Toros getting to ‘Cats starting pitcher Alex Molina early. Molina was tagged for five earned runs in only one and two-thirds innings.

Chico State’s offense couldn’t pick up any steam to dig out of a deficit. Replacing Molina was Cheyenne Sandoval who went two and one-third innings giving up three earned runs.

The Wildcats would again change pitchers, bringing in Ariel De Trinidad who gave up the last run of the game.

Game two was a different story for the Wildcats. Desiree Gonzalez knocked out a two-run homerun that gave the ’Cats an early lead.

Gonzalez wasn’t the only WIldcat to hit a homerun as Emily McEnaney joined the party with one of her own in the four inning.

“It felt good to know you could hit a low and then be yourself again,” McEnaney said. “It’s easy to stay down and harder to comeback.”

Like Chico State’s offense in game one, it was Cal State Dominguez Hills’ offense that fell flat.

‘Cats starter Brooke Langeloh pitched a complete game shutout, while only giving up two hits on four strikeouts.

Chico State is now 8-11 overall and 6-8 in conference play. The team looks to build upon the win as it plays Cal State Dominguez Hills for another doubleheader on Saturday starting at 11 a.m.

Angelo Boscacci can be reached at [email protected] or @Boscacci6 on Twitter