Poetry honors women

entertainment

Paige Fuentes

The Black Leaders on Campus organization hosted a poetry night Thursday to wrap up Women’s History Month. The event showcased everything from off-the-cuff poetry to works of famous female poets, and some participants even sang.

Poets that were recognized ranged from traditional Emily Dickinson to experimental poets like “Miss Terious Janette…ikz.”

An event like this creates the opportunity to compare and contrast the past and future through poetry, said DeJenae Hemsley, the event’s host and a sophomore communication design major.

“We can dissect our progress as women and really look at the impact of women’s history,” she said.

The night began with readings of older poets and progressed to more modern poets and performances. A common theme of the strong women presided over the evening, leaving Chicoan Tateym Gridley with the feeling of empowerment.

“The poetry that was selected and read was inspiring to me,” she said.

World Poetry Day was March 21, but because it landed in the middle of spring break, BLOC had to improvise and host its poetry event when students were back in town.

BLOC wanted to have one of its March events recognize Women’s History Month, said BLOC member Destinee Terry, a senior business administration major.

After the open mic session of the night, the event wrapped up with a cypher, a performance in which a group freestyle raps and feeds off each other’s energy. The whole audience stood up and circled around to join in.

BLOC’s poetry night aimed to remind audience members to be conscious of their actions and how they impact their past and future through a creative outlet such as poetry.

<strong>Paige Fuentes can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>

1. Poetic justice