Grad grants safe for year

news

Master’s level students still eligible for State University Grant in 2012-13Juniper Rose

The 23 California State University presidents and CSU Chancellor Charles Reed decided not to cut master’s level students’ State University Grants for the 2012-2013 academic year at a meeting Wednesday in Long Beach.

Graduate students didn’t receive their financial award packages two weeks ago when undergraduate students got theirs because of the review by the CSU.

The grant policy was being evaluated, and that policy and others will continue to be reviewed and evaluated in the future, said Mike Uhlenkamp, a spokesman for the CSU Chancellor’s Office.

The decision to maintain the grants only applies for next year, Chico State President Paul Zingg said in an email interview.

Several CSU presidents, including Zingg, argued that the funds should not be cut with such short notice, Zingg said.

The grants are awarded to cover tuition, and average about $5,000 per semester for master’s level students, according a financial aid document record.

Reed agreed to appoint a group of presidents to study the issue beyond next year, Zingg said.

“I think he was influenced by the arguments of the presidents not to change the SUG policy for graduate students so late in the year without thoroughly understanding the arguments and implications of doing so,” Zingg said.

Students and faculty will be notified if any changes are going to be made, Uhlenkamp said.

Students in the Graduate Council at Chico State have been working to raise awareness about the possibility of the cut to cash grants and are relieved and ready to protect their State University Grants in the future.

“It is nice to know that just raising our voices made people aware and not just the administration but also our student body,” said Maija Glasier-Lawson, an anthropology graduate student.

Daniel Levine, a political science graduate student, applauds the decision to keep the State University Grants but is still concerned, he said.

“I personally don’t see this so much as a victory, but we are really going to use this as an awakening,” Levine said. “I just feel like at least folks can take a deep breath and they are not going to get beaten out of their funding for this semester. Now we just need to stay focused.”

<strong>Juniper Rose can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>