Buyers regret purchases when music tastes go sour

Monica Unhold

Students get roped into buying bad music for a variety of reasons, but the resulting disappointment is always the same.

Concerts are one way students get stuck with CDs they don’t want. It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of a live show and buy the band’s album. But often the CD doesn’t quite compare to the show experience.

Jennifer Rayos bought local band Reverend Shelby Cobra’s album after seeing it perform at Duffy’s Tavern. The singer’s voice is annoying and the lyrics are awful, she said.

“They’re great live, but I hate the CD,” Rayos said.

Buying an album on a friend’s recommendation is also dangerous.

Mark Herrera, a junior majoring in criminal justice, got stuck with a bad Smashing Pumpkins album this way, he said.

“It just wasn’t my kind of music,” Herrera said.

Another way students get stuck with bad music is by buying an entire album because they liked a single.

Sophomore Priscilla Estrada did this when she bought Baha Men’s “Who Let the Dogs Out.”

“It’s just a bunch of screaming,” Estrada said.

Although the album’s single “Who Let the Dogs Out” contains of a lot of barking, it topped the charts for a while. The song won a Grammy in 2000 for Best Dance Recording.

Problems also arise because people’s musical tastes change quickly.

Some musical groups are overwhelmingly popular one week and forgotten the next, said Ray Coppock, owner of Melody Records in downtown Chico.

“It becomes embarrassing to say you like them,” Coppock said.

Coppock is in charge of buying used records and CDs for Melody Records. He tries to stay away from the “flavor of the month” when buying music for the store, Coppock said.

“It’s really popular, but it’s really lame,” Coppock said.

Downtown music stores that buy and sell used albums include Melody Records, Tower Records and The Underground.

The Underground buys back a variety of music and movies, said Justin McBurney, a senior majoring in history. He is responsible for buying back music for The Underground.

People want to sell back a lot of rap and Top 40 music, he said.

“Sometimes good stuff comes back, sometimes it’s garbage,” McBurney said.

Strangely, people have sold movies back the day after they were released, he said.

“They just say they want to sell things back,” McBurney said. “We don’t usually get the back story.”

The worst album McBurney ever bought was the “Dumb and Dumber Soundtrack,” he said. He bought it when he was in the eighth grade and liked it then.

Selling back music is a good way to get cash for lousy records and CDs.

Claudia Jenkins sold nearly 400 records, which belonged to her husband and friends, to Melody Records.

She spent a long time researching how much the records were worth before she took them to the store, Jenkins said.

“I was very happy with what I got for them,” Jenkins said.

Monica Unhold can be reached at

<a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>