Editorial: Student success shows slump

Illustration by Liz Coffee
Illustration by Liz Coffee

[dropcap]T[/dropcap]he end goal for many college students is to learn, grow and ultimately graduate with a degree, a testament to what they have learned throughout their years of study.

Unfortunately not every student who enrolls at Chico State will see that end result. In a recent study conducted by the provost’s office, prompted by the goal of finding ways to increase graduation rates, it was determined that one in three incoming first-year students do not end up graduating.

For those who do graduate, the study found that the average time it took a student to earn a degree was five years and not the touted four so commonly mentioned.

Of note was the finding that the biggest key to success was how first-year students did in their first semester. The students who graduated the quickest were the ones who took a heavy course load, typically 15 units or more, during that critical semester.

These findings are both alarming and interesting. The one thing the university should take from this study is that action is needed to promote student success.

While the responsibility to succeed is first and foremost on the students, Chico State should make significant strides to share this information with incoming freshman and be open and transparent about their success rates.

The university has a commitment to its students to be transparent about what works and what doesn’t in terms of success. This way, first-year and transfer students know how and why students succeed at Chico State.

The Orion can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.