Students seek sugar daddies to pay tuition

SugarWEB.jpg
SeekingArrangement is a website where older wealthy singles hook up with younger people. The site is used by some college students looking to pay off college debt.

Getting a job at the Chico State Calling Center and shopping in bulk at WinCo are both ways to earn and save money to pay for school. But seeing older men and women who pay up to $3,000 a month for companionship is a new trend for college students looking for income.

SeekingArrangement is a dating website that pairs wealthy, older men and women with younger “sugar babies.” Users can make profiles that outline their ideal relationship and post pictures.

The only difference between this site and eHarmony is the men usually don’t have time for traditional dating and the girls are commonly college students who need help with tuition, said Brook Urick, the public relations manager at SeekingArrangement.

Along with their name, age, height and body type, sugar babies can specify the amount of money they expect their daddy or mommy to provide them by putting a lifestyle expectation on their profiles.

For example, Whitney, 21, describes herself as a modern housewife and southern belle and has a substantial lifestyle expectation on her profile.

The sugar daddies can also specify their wants and needs, and how much they are willing to pay through their lifestyle budget.

Jimbo, 61, is seeking a passionate princess to pamper and spoil and has a negotiable lifestyle budget.

There are 37 students registered with an @csuchico.edu email address on the website.

However, there are probably more students on the website from Chico State since they can use personal email addresses if they choose, Urick said.

The website is the first of its kind to offer background checks to vet its members, she said. So it is equally, if not more safe than any other dating website.

Chico State students have varying opinions on using the controversial website to help fund their college tuition.

Using the website is shallow, said David Gross, a business administration and religious studies major.

“You’re kind of just being used for money,” he said. “I would say it’s immoral and unethical, for sure.”

Nursing major Ingrid DaSilva said she thinks the website is not necessarily bad.

“All they’re doing is finding a person willing to help them afford college, kind of like a scholarship,” she said. “You can’t judge someone on it because you can never know what position someone is in.”

The website is ridiculous, said liberal studies major Jenna Faniani.

“There are so many alternative options as a Chico State student on campus to apply for and get a job,” she said. “Of all the empowering things women do and all the progress that we’ve made as women, this is just a huge step backwards.”

Madison Holmes can be reached at [email protected] or @madisonholmes95 on Twitter.