Student by day, stripper by night

Yessenia Funes

StrippersWEB.jpg

Anya, a Butte College student, shows off her dance moves at Centerfold strip club Sunday night. Photo credit: Annie Paige

When the club lulls without an audience to see her black, 5-inch go-go shoes click-clack to The Black Keys, Anya heads behind the curtain to squeeze in some studying.

Anya, a 25-year-old stripper at Centerfolds in Chico, hopes to become a registered nurse one day. She’s working on her nursing prerequisites at Butte College. In order to keep that dream possible, she provided only her stage name for this story.

Like Anya, the other women chose to go only by their stage names, said Angel, the manager of the club who also performs. Seven to eight students work at the strip club but only one attends Chico State,

Every semester, customers can find students working at Centerfolds, she said. However, some come and go. Those that stay have bills to pay, especially college tuition.

“Financial aid isn’t enough,” Angel said.

Anya’s been dancing at Centerfolds for a year and a half, but she’s worked at about nine other clubs in the past.

Like many other kids who jump into college after high school, 17-year-old Anya bounced from major to major, so she decided to take a break until she figured it out. Now eight years later, she knows what she wants to do.

“I believe I’m at that age where you are sure of what you want to do, and you’re past what other people are pushing you to do,” Anya said.

Autumn, a 29-year-old stripper, also finds herself doing homework during free time.

The other girls sometimes interrupt her study session to talk, which Autumn finds annoying, but at least slow nights allow it, she said.

Making at least $2,000 a month for four years now, Autumn is also able to pay loans stemming from her Illinois State University bachelor’s degree in entrepreneurship and small business management and the Butte College classes she’s currently taking.

Though she already has a degree, Autumn is playing around with classes of interests to explore her options.

“I want to make sure that I’m going where my interests and skills lie together the best,” Autumn said.

These ladies aren’t alone. Almost a third of strippers attend college, according to a study by The University of Leeds in the U.K. Nearly a quarter of strippers have already completed an undergraduate program.

This job isn’t for everyone, though, Autumn said. If a woman is comfortable enough to pole dance naked, she should go for it.

While most students don’t have to worry about working during the day, they do have to worry about taking morning classes.

Autumn’s earliest class this semester is at 2 p.m., she said. Noon is the earliest she’s done before.

“I’m a nighttime person,” Autumn said. “I like to be nude. I like to socialize. I love to dance, so it’s kind of right up my alley.”

Yessenia Funes can be reached at [email protected] or @yessfun on Twitter.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Student by day, stripper by night”

1. Segnali Di Forex Gratuiti | Gold Investing Guide on October 19th, 2015 12:37 am

[…] Student by day, stripper by night – Anya, a 25-year-old stripper at Centerfolds in Chico, hopes to become a registered nurse one day. She’s working on her nursing prerequisites at Butte College. In order to keep that dream possible, she provided only her stage name for this story. […]

2. flavia naccari on January 30th, 2017 12:41 pm

I’m the dancers manager there at centerfolds I would like you to write a new story one with some truth in it anya was a student yes autumn no we do not have girls that are students there from college whoever did that study at that University about most dancers go to college is a lie I’ve been in this business 27 years it’s very rare when you see a dancers that aree going to college its a myth unfortunately for some reason people like to believe that but it just isn’t the truth everybody has their own story but there’s a general commonality I would love for you do an interview with me so you can report the truth the real truth

[Reply]

• Student by day, stripper by night

Chico State students receives a gun shot while attending a local house party

• Student by day, stripper by night

Woman was reported screaming and stripping in parking lot

• Student by day, stripper by night

Ponderosa Fire victims learn to rebuild their homes

• Student by day, stripper by night

Torres Community Shelter hosts Gratitude Day in Chico

• Student by day, stripper by night

What kind of phone bill is UPD running up?

• Student by day, stripper by night

Flu shots available on campus

• Student by day, stripper by night

Monetary grant encourages a tobacco free generation by The American Cancer Society

• Student by day, stripper by night

Chico State continues to receive nationwide recognition

• Student by day, stripper by night

There’s a new chief in charge, for now

• Student by day, stripper by night

Butte County Sergeant is injured in car accident

Student by day, stripper by night