$1,200 raised for AIDS research, testing

AIDS walk
Lindsay Pincus
Roughly 60 runners and walkers participated in the second Chico Pride AIDS Walk/Run. The group raised $1,200 for AIDS research and testing.

Chico citizens gathered at One Mile in Bidwell Park on Saturday morning to raise awareness for AIDS.

Approximately 60 participants took part in the Pride AIDS Walk/Run where $1,200 was raised and given to Caring Choices. The organization helps with the health of residents in Northern California. They have a specific HIV/AIDS program, which provides free HIV testing and counseling.

Tray Robinson, director of the office of Diversity and Inclusion, organized the event.

“Well it’s personal for me,” Robinson said. “My oldest brother died of AIDS in 2000, so after his death I thought I would get involved as much as I can with HIV and AIDS.

“This is an opportunity to give back to our local community and continue to provide free local testing because we don’t receive support from the government and the state as we used to.”

Chico City Councilmember Randall Stone finished third in the 5k race.

“This is a great event,” Stone said. “It raises money for AIDS research and testing, most importantly testing.

“People don’t know that they have the HIV virus and that’s key to minimizing the spread,” Stone said.

Lindsay Pincus can be reached at [email protected] or @LindsayPincus on Twitter.