Men’s soccer team loses 2-1 to Cal Poly Pomona

IMG_0304.jpg
Senior defender Mike Janjigian goes for a shot with his head during the Wildcats men's soccer team's 2-1 loss on Friday Oct. 3rd. Photo credit: Emerson Keenan

[box]

Chico State loses 2-1 vs. Cal Poly Pomona

Quick Stats:

Goals: 1 – Akwafei Ajeakwa (3rd of season)

Saves: 7 – Luke Dennison (33 saves on the season)

[/box]

The Chico State men’s soccer team had a tough time with the Cal Poly Pomona Broncos and lost 2-1 Friday afternoon.

The Wildcats jumped out to a 1-0 lead 20 minutes into the game when Akwafei Ajeakwa intercepted a Bronco pass and shot a 20-yard chip into the upper part of the far post.

The ‘Cats had the lead despite shooting far less shots than the Broncos, something that would in the end hurt the Wildcats.

IMG_0306.jpg
Carter Johnson #12 goes for a pass during the Wildcats men's soccer game on Friday Oct. 3rd. Photo credit: Emerson Keenan

“After halftime we had a tough time focusing on what we wanted to do, which was win the game,” said freshman goalie Luke Dennison.

A penalty that would have put the Broncos up early was blocked by Dennison at the 16th minute of the game. Dennison contributed seven saves, his most in a game this season.

Cal Poly got on the board in the 47th minute of the game on a ball that was deflected off senior defender Mike Janjigian for a goal to tie the game.

The Broncos scored 12 minutes later on a shot to the opposite side of the goalie. The Wildcats had chances in the closing minutes of the game, and in the end couldn’t prevail. The ‘Cats move to 5-3-1 on the season and have now lost three games in a row.

The Wildcats continue play on Sunday at home against UC San Diego taking place at 11:30 a.m.

Chance Keenan can be reached at [email protected] or @chancelikelance on Twitter.