Mime troupe to literally give Chico audience giant thumbs up

Mummenschanz.jpg
Chico Performances presents MUMMENSCHANZ, a miming troupe that transforms ordinary objects into extraordinary acts, Tuesday, Oct. 28 at Laxson Auditorium. Photo courtesy of Chico Performances

Mime-masque theater troupe MUMMENSCHANZ delivers something quite different from the average show: it takes everyday objects like toilet paper, plastic or trash bags and creates imaginary beings, hands larger than humans and face-like shapes.

Audiences can catch the mime artists 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Laxson Auditorium for a must-see, memorable experience presented by Chico Performances. Its U.S. tour is a combination of some of its best acts spanning over 40 years of experience.

“You will see the evolution of our performances,” said Floriana Frassetto, co-founder and troupe member. “We started out slowly doing blue room performances and made our way to Broadway. From there we have taken off, doing tours across the United States.”

Frassetto and co-founders Bernie Schurch and Andres Bossard wanted to create a different type of performance group than the typical mime group. Frassetto, who was classically trained in Rome, wanted to “bring everyday objects to life” and “the audience to have fun” while they performed with extraordinary props.

“We are looking forward to seeing the enthusiasm and curiosity of the audience,” said Frassetto. “We are looking forward to having fun and inviting you to join our world of creativity and visual arts.”

MUMMENSCHANZ translates from German to the English word mummery: a play involving mummers, or mimes.

The troupe has been touring for more than 15 years and visited places across the globe, including Alaska, Berlin, Rome and Mexico City.

Frassetto said she is especially looking forward to coming to Chico because of its “great concentration of wonderful people.”

[box]

Performance Details

• Date: Tuesday, Oct. 28
  • Time: 7:30 p.m.
  • Location: Laxson Auditorium
  • Price for Chico State student: $10

[/box]

Kristen Moran can be reached at [email protected] or @Kristenvmoran on Twitter.