Digital age reveals horrors of parenthood

alyssadunningopinion.jpg
Alyssa Dunning

Babies are adorable, but only when I can hand them back when they start to cry.

I’m a married woman, about to be a college graduate. It is time to start thinking about my next steps in life. For a while I thought that I wanted kids, but lately it seems that no one is holding back any punches when talking about how terrible it is to be a parent. This makes me question this obsession with starting a family.

Pregnancy and delivery alone sound like a made-for-television horror story, from abdominal muscles splitting, to pooping on the delivery table. Not to mention the places on one’s body that shouldn’t rip, end up completely tearing apart. This lady has been scared straight, straight out of ever becoming a parent.

There is the option of adoption for skipping past the gory lady parts, but the pregnancy and delivery are at least temporary. Parents are always blogging about missed hours of sleep, being late because of their kids, the tantrums that happen for no reason.

While I enjoy these stories for entertainment I don’t want to make my life all about it. Just because someone enjoys Real Housewives of Something or Other, doesn’t mean they should get a bad spray tan, divorce and an alcohol problem.

I think I am good with my cats and my husband as my family. They make me happy and I get to sleep as much as I want.

Alyssa Dunning can be reached at [email protected] or @alyssadunning3 on Twitter.