Women’s soccer team advances to championship game

835d4426-5906-4a36-8c30-e0271113bf79.jpg
Lindsey Dias had the game-winning goal in double overtime on Friday. Photo credit: John Domogma

[box]

Chico State 1, Cal Poly Pomona 0 (2OT)

• Goals: Lindsey Dias (1)
  • Saves: Brianna Furner (8)

[/box]

After a long defensive battle with the Cal Poly Pomona Broncos, Chico State’s women’s soccer team won in double overtime 1-0 to advance to the California Collegiate Athletic Association championship game.

The Wildcats found themselves on the defensive side of the field for the majority of regulation after being out-shot 18-6. As soon as overtime started, the Wildcats took over the game and allowed zero shots on goal and pushed to shoot four times in the first overtime period.

As the second overtime began, the ‘Cats drove the ball to the Broncos box and were fouled directly in front of the goal. Megan Tabler took the kick and was able to place the ball perfectly to the right for Lindsey Dias to smash a header past goalkeeper Ricki Ives to launch the Wildcats to the CCAA Championship Game.

Brianna Furner, a senior goalkeeper, saved eight shots on goal. The Broncos ripped many long-distance shots for the majority of the game that were all saved by Furner. In the second half of regulation, Furner made a diving save to rob Edith Dominguez and keep things scoreless and keep the Wildcats in the game.

The only other close scoring chance for the Broncos came in the second half when Stacey Atwater hit the crossbar. Pooja Patel had another great defensive play in the final minutes of the first half, sprinting from behind to stop a breakaway after a missed corner kick.

The Wildcats will be play in the CCAA Championship game against Cal State LA on Sunday at 12:30 p.m in Turock

Lars Gustafson can be reached at [email protected] or @larsonsports on Twitter.