Embracing eustress

mugshot2.jpg
Veronica De La Cruz

Countless hours in the library, sleepless nights, major bags under our eyes and the lovely realization that with finals just around the corner, the stress is only going to get more real.

It’s no surprise that in order to be successful and grow, one must endure the struggle and stress that comes with getting to that ultimate goal, whatever it may be.

But before students decide to pull all of their hair out and have a mental breakdown, it’s important to sit back and think about what’s worth stressing over and what isn’t.

I know I’m not the first one to automatically assume that when someone is talking about being stressed out, it’s with a negative connotation. With all of the struggles that come with responsibility, it’s easy to see how bad stress can hinder the growth and experience a young adult may have.

I’m taking 18 units this semester, writing for The Orion, and still trying to focus on getting healthy, so I know all about feeling like I’m drowning in a deep abyss of deadline after deadline.

I’m still learning ways to balance the stress in my life, but I know that the one thing that has worked for me is embracing hectic situations that keep me alert and on my toes when I face challenges that life throws at me.

The key to stress is knowing how to have control over it. Sure it’s easier said than done, but there are so many things people can do to keep themselves in check. Taking tasks one thing at a time, and reassuring oneself that this will all be worthwhile can make all the difference.

The mind is everything, and having that positive presence of good stress in one’s life can ensure that every task be accepted as a challenge that will only better their future.

Veronica De La Cruz can be reached at [email protected] or @Veronica_dlc on Twitter.