Police search, finds missing student

police-blotter2.jpg
    Illustration by Liz Coffee

Chico resident Brenton Snyder woke up to a voicemail from his friend, Rachelle Currier, a Chico State student, claiming she had been kidnapped and feared for her life.

Currier sent the message, Dec. 7 at 2:23 a.m. to Snyder and other friends. When Snyder checked with the friends mentioned in the voicemail, they revived a similar message.

Snyder then reported the voicemail to Chico Police. Using Currier’s cell phone as a tracking device, police were able to locate the area and the last time she used the phone.

According to the police report, officers were able to get the address, 828 Nord Ave. where they encountered a resident identified as ‘Mom’. The homeowner told them that Currier was supposed to spend the night with her friend, Macy Lincoln, a Chico State student.

Lincoln told the officers that Currier wasn’t at her residence and that the last time she had contact with Currier was via a text message. The last text message Lincoln received revealed that Currier had been at the Crazy Horse Saloon where she met a guy named ‘Brett’.

The last text sent from Currier to Lincoln was at 4:27 a.m. and read, “I’m o.k.”

Lincoln said this was normal behavior for Currier and that she did this from time to time as a way of getting attention. She said it had happened before.

Lincoln also told police that Currier had planned on spending the night at her boyfriend’s house, Chico State student Brandon Ellingson. Police found Currier when they arrived at Ellingson’s house near campus. There was no merit to the claims that Currier was missing, according to Chico Police.

Robert Engels can be reached at: [email protected] or @sullayyy on Twitter