Show the art and make it weird

12301554166_42b53b8b50_z (1).jpg
Orion file photo

From strange to beautiful, local residents will perform in one of Chico’s weirdest events.

Chico has a vast array of talented performers and artists. Local talent show Keep Chico Weird will start off its second annual event with an art show January 29-31 at 1078 Gallery off Broadway Street 6-8 p.m.

The first night will start off with a reception. Then the open-entry group art show will begin, which will display a large variety of visual art from nearly 50 different artists. There will also be various performances, free snacks and beverages to purchase.

At the El Rey Theatre, Keep Chico Weird’s talent show will take place at 7:30 p.m. There will be 20 performers putting forth their tremendous acts for the audience. Some of the acts that will take place include belly dancers, musicians and dance performers.

The reason for having the talent show at a separate place than the art show is because last year the “100 plus people that came to the El Rey Theatre resulted in it being crowded with the space provided for the displayed art area,” said Chico News & Review Arts Editor and host Jason Cassidy.

So this year, 1078 Gallery was able to help out for the visual art show.

“I think people will be most impressed with the wide range of talent that Chico has,” Cassidy said. “All of these performers and artists have great talent, but there is not too many avenues in Chico for them to perform or show it.”

The event is presented by the News & Review and sponsored by the Funky Trunk, Playtime 4 You and Rape Crisis Intervention and Prevention.

Talent Show Details

• Date: Jan. 31
  • Time: 7:30 p.m.
  • Location: El Rey Theatre
  • Price: $15 (advance), $20 (door)

Tom Sundgren can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @tomsundgren