How you doin’?: The art of using pickup lines

sexcolumnWeb.jpg
Illustration by J.Q. Hammer

Men and women are two very different beings, and no matter how hard we try there is a good chance that we will never fully understand each other. So when it comes time to intermingle and make impressions, is there really a right way to go about it?

Should we compromise our character in order to be relatable? Or should we remain true to ourselves and hope for the best?

In a world diverse with personality and charisma, I would say that there really is no by the book way to initiate a conversation between the two sexes.

Some have come to the conclusion that you can plan out what you are going to say before you make the approach, which leads to cheesy pickup lines.

I find this to be a skewed notion and can honestly say the only time I have ever dabbled in the pool of pickup lines was when I was being blatantly ironic.

There really is no right or wrong way to go up to someone who catches your eye. The one thing that I have learned is that if you’re going to do it you better do it with confidence, even if that means dropping a poorly written Taylor Swift lyric in an attempt to make your eye candy swoon.

Take me for instance. I’m a sarcastic asshole and for some reason, men love it. But with time I’ve come to realize that my particular allure actually lies in my confidence and the way I carry myself.

I never pretend to be someone I’m not. I don’t withhold my intellect in fear of coming on too strong and I sure as hell don’t hide my inherent case of weird. I let my freak flag fly proudly.

On the other hand, I can sympathize with those who have a hard time being completely themselves when trying to get to know someone. The truth of the matter is, rejection isn’t fun.

I would be lying if I told you that I’ve never been rejected, and that it wasn’t a blow to my ego. The real challenge is being able to brush it off and get right back on the horse.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take, according to Wayne Gretzky. You may as well put yourself out there and give it a chance. Be yourself and have fun with it because you really have nothing to lose.

Sophia Xepoleas can be reached at [email protected] or @soph_mxx on Twitter.