Chico State claims first place in 9th straight win

d0befbac-130c-418b-a70d-3d0f65a893de-1forweb.jpg
Robert, Point Guard for the Wildcats, surrounded by Cal Poly Pomona defenders Photo credit: Gustavo Ornelas

In a battle of first place teams, the Chico State men’s basketball team beat Cal Poly Pomona to claim first place in the California Collegiate Athletic Association conference as their own.

The game took place before a packed house in Acker Gym as the Wildcats improved to 16-5 overall and 13-3 in conference, winning 60-52 over the Broncos.

Sophomore guard Robert Duncan, led all scorers with 19 points on 7-of-12 shooting from the field and 4-6 from the line. Junior forward Drew Kitchens scored 10 points while senior forward Jordan Semple contributed 8 points for the competition.

Semple also led the ‘Cats with 10 boards as they outrebounded the Broncos 29-25.

Chico State also held the advantage in points off of turnovers 21-11, despite the turnover battle being relatively even at 16-17 in Chico State’s favor.

The win gives Chico State a one game lead in the California Collegiate Athletic Association standings and a season sweep over second place Cal Poly Pomona. The Wildcats have seven games remaining before the playoffs.

The ‘Cats take their winning streak on the road next week as they head to Cal State San Bernardino on Thursday before facing Humboldt State on Saturday night. So far this season Chico State is 6-1 on the road.

Kevin Lucena can be reached at [email protected] or @klucena824 on Twitter.