Tips on landing primo housing for next fall

housingNickWeb.jpg
Illustration by Trevor Moore

Phones are ringing off the hook, application after application is being filled out and students are running around touring apartments and houses in between classes.

It’s that time of year again when students need to find a new housing situation for the upcoming fall.

Joe Montes, the general manager at AAA Properties, has been helping students fill units for some time now.

Amidst the chaos of school and living situations, Montes provides a few simple pointers for students to help make the process go smoothly.

Start early

Beginning the search for an apartment or house can yield a variety of places to choose from, more attention from the housing management and more time to choose without the fear of another student swooping up your dream place,

“This year, as early as mid- to late-November, students were starting to come in and inquire with us about available properties for the next school year,” Montes said.

Use word of mouth

Starting early may just be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to finding a place to live for the fall. Most of AAA’s business comes by word-of-mouth from customer to customer, Montes said.

Nick Miller, a first-year history major, was able to nail down his living situation after hearing about a place to live from a friend.

“With us it was really easy, because we just knew the guy, which was a lot easier of a transition,” Miller said. “Having connections would be the easiest way to find a place.”

Talking to fellow students who currently live in the property you want can be an easy way to put your foot in the door with the rental agency, he said.

Make sure cosigners are in on the loop

Students can also ensure that parents or cosigners are involved before the application process.

Jenna Steinsiek, leasing manager for AAA Properties, advocates for cosigner involvement for before the process even begins.

“Make sure your parents are on board, or whoever is cosigning, so they know what’s going on,” Steinsiek said. “When you do find something, they can act right away.”

Finding a place for the fall can be a stressful time, especially if left until the last minute. Planning ahead and being aware can help students find a place to live and be happy about it, said Andrew Orozco, a first-year kinesiology major.

“Start early,” Orozco said. “Find the place you want and be aggressive about it.”

Nick Bragg can be reached at [email protected] or @Nick981 on Twitter.