Women’s volleyball team falls to UC San Diego

File photo by Lara Rodriguez Hannah Wilkins,Ashton Kershner and Natalie Nordahl go up for a block.
File photo by Lara Rodriguez
Hannah Wilkins,Ashton Kershner and Natalie Nordahl go up for a block.

The Chico State women’s volleyball team lost three of four games in Saturday’s match against No. 10 ranked UC San Diego.

In the first game, the Wildcats came out determined and won 25-20. In the second game, the ‘Cats started off slow and lost 18-25, as the Tritons evened up the match at one game apiece. In the third game, the Wildcats rallied back, but fell short 21-25. In the fourth game, both teams were tied at 24 apiece, but the ‘Cats dropped the next two points and lost the game 26-24.

Freshman Torey Thompson led the Wildcats with 44 assists and tacked on 13 digs as well.

“I think we played well and with good energy,” said freshman middle hitter Natalie Nordahl. “We were up at times and could have closed it out.”

The Wildcats are now 6-6 on the season and 3-2 in conference play. The next game will be Oct. 4 on the road against San Francisco State.

Ben Marquez can be reached at [email protected].