A.S. hosts service day dedicated to Cesar Chavez

cesar-chavez.jpg
Students and community members will be able to give back in honor of Cesar Chavez Day on March 31. Photo courtesy of Chico State

Chico State’s Associated Students is hosting a day of service during which hundreds of students can give back to the community in honor of Cesar Chavez Day, according to a press release.

Cats in the Community will take place 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Wildcat Recreation Center and other locations, such as the Chico Fire Department, Chico Animal Shelter and Boys and Girls Club.

Interested students can sign up through the A.S. website for the volunteer spot of their choice. All spots are filled, but some will open if there are cancellations.

Volunteers will meet at the WREC at the beginning of the day, then travel to their assigned spots at 1 p.m. After work is done, volunteers will return to the WREC and enjoy free lunch, games, swimming and a raffle where they can win prizes.

This day of service is a way for students to respectfully honor the holiday and the campus community by walking dogs, spending time with kids, helping with landscaping, cleaning up around campus and more.

“We added three more volunteer sites for Cats in the Community (this year),” Kassandra Bednarski, A.S. commissioner of community affairs, said. “Be sure to sign up to volunteer on Cesar Chavez Day and make a difference in your community.”

Hannah Suzuki can be reached at [email protected] or @HannahSuzuki22 on Twitter.