Student art exhibitions to showcase best work of the year

this is an image
Courtesy of Catherine Sullivan

Starting on April 23, the Janet Turner Print Museum will be displaying the 20th Juried Student Print Exhibition and the 13th Ink/Clay.

The prints that will be on display were judged and chosen by Miwako Nishizawa, a Japanese, Bay Area-based print artist.

Every year the exhibition has a different juror.

“It is for students in printmaking classes for the last year, said Catherine Sullivan, curator for the museum. “We invite a print makerto come view their work. Every year it’s a different person, and their bias plays a part.”

The students work was judged by refined technical ability and content, Sullivan said. Seventy-five prints were submitted and only 30 will be on the walls.

During the time the juried show is open at the museum, there will also be ceramics on display, chosen by the ceramics faculty and Sullivan.

The University Art Gallery will also be hosting its 60th annual Juried Student Exhibition, opening on April 27. This exhibit is open to all art students of any specialty.

“As long as they are enrolled they can submit,” Sullivan said.

The University Art Gallery is located in Trinity Hall. The show is currently in the jurying process.

A third exhibition, one particularly for students who are studying art education, is currently on display at the third floor of the Bell Memorial Union. The eighth annual Juried Art Education Show will close May 1.

These three events will eventually come together on Thursday, April 30, for a joint awards ceremony in the Performing Arts Building, room 134. The three exhibitions will host receptions at their various locations afterwards.

For students whose art did not get chosen, they can hang their pieces for the world to see at the Salon de Refuses, located at the Laxson Fine Art Gallery.

Greta Gordon can be reached at [email protected] or @hakunagretata on Twitter.