‘Cats force OT, fall to Cal State San Bernardino

Swift kick
Photograph by Norma Loya
Freshman forward/mid-fielder Katie Brown powers down the field against two San Bernardino Coyotes.” height=”218

The Chico State women’s team kicked off an exciting night of action, but came up short against California Collegiate Athletic Association South Division leaderCal State San Bernardino.

The loss comes on the heels of last weekend’s road trip, which saw the ’Cats end a two-game losing slide with a victory over Cal State Dominguez Hills.
Chico State made their mark early, with midfielder Halima Abdelshife scoring off a header at the 9:12 mark of regulation. At the other end of the field, the women’s team flexed their defensive muscle while limiting Cal State San Bernardino to just 3 shot attempts in the first half.
But Cal State San Bernardino answered back, with forward Kiana Quarles weaving through traffic to notch the Coyotes first goal of the night with only 8:49 elapsed in the second half.
With the game knotted at 1-1, both teams would need a third period of play to break the stalemate.
In overtime, Chico State put forth the same determination that helped spark several come from behind victories earlier in the season.
However, a comeback would not be in the cards this time, as Cal State San Bernardino forward Jasmine Williams booted in her team’s second and decisive field goal with only 1:31 remaining in OT.
The women’s team hopes to regain their stride when they hit the road this Sunday to face off against San Francisco State at 2 pm.

Taylor Maddox can be reached at [email protected].