Chico State appoints interim University Police chief

C1s.jpg
Retired Chico Police Chief Bruce Hagerty is stepping in as interim chief of the University Police while the search for a permanent replacement continues. Photo courtesy of Bruce Hagerty.

Bruce Hagerty, retired Chico police chief, has been appointed interim Chico State University Police chief, according to a press release from Lori Hoffman, the vice president of business and finance.

Hagerty served six years a chief of police in Chico and currently serves on the University Advisory Board.

He is set to serve as chief on a part-time basis beginning May 4, and scheduled to be on campus four days a week.

He replaces serving chief Robyn Hearne, who officially retired in December. Hearne has continued in her leadership role through the spring semester but plans to pursue another professional opportunity elsewhere, according to the press release.

Hoffman thanked Hearne for her service in the release.

“Thank you, Robyn, for your strong leadership and commitment to UPD and the University,” the press release stated.

Joe Wills, director of public affairs and publications, said that Hagerty will serve as a placeholder while the current search for a University Police chief enters the final stages of the process.

Because the hiring process of a police chief is lengthy, interim steps were necessary to ensure the department and campus that chief operations continued, Wills said.

The selection committee is still two weeks or more away from hiring a candidate.

Mary Quiring, assistant to the Drew Calandrella, the vice president of student affairs, who is also the standing chairman of the University Police chief selection committee, said that recommendations have been made to Hoffman.

“We expect that a selection will be made before next semester,” Quiring said.

Dylan de Wit can be reached at [email protected] or @DylanTdeWit on Twitter.