‘Cats season comes to an end

Team Up High WEB.jpg
    The 2015 Chico State Wildcat softball team. Photo courtesy of Chico Wildcats.

Game 1: Chico State 6 – Saint Martin’s 4

With their backs against the wall, Chico State needed two wins to advance in the NCAA tournament and stay alive.

The Saint Martin’s Saints opened up the scoring in the top of the 3rd inning with a one run sacrifice fly making the score 1-0. However, the Saints lead didn’t last long with the Wildcats scoring two runs in the bottom half of the same inning giving the ‘Cats a 2-1 lead.

After batting back and forth, the score was tied 4-4 at the top of the final 7th inning.

The game was won for the Wildcats by junior catcher, Brynn Lesovsky, when she hit a two-run homer in the bottom of the seventh inning with a 3-2 count to lift Chico State past Saint Martins 6-4. Lesovsky had two homers on the afternoon and three on the season.

Levosky’s homer pushed Chico State on to face California Baptist in a semifinal match up facing elimination from the NCAA tournament.

Game 2: Cal Baptist 9 – Chico State 2

In a repeat of Thursday night’s match up, California Baptist ended Chico State’s season beating the ‘Cats 9-2 in a tough final game.

California Baptist got on the scoreboard early with a RBI single in the top of the 1st inning. The scoring continued for the Lancers all game as they scored five runs by the 5th inning beating the Wildcats’ two runs.

The three-run lead established by the Lancers was never overcome by the Wildcats. California Baptist earned four runs in the top of the 6th inning securing the win.

Chico State ended the season with an overall 29-22 record.

James Groh can be reached at [email protected] or @James_Groh14 on Twitter.