• An individual carrying a bacterial disease attended multiple fraternity parties

Break the bank a little less in San Francisco

SFWeb.jpg
    Illustration by Kayce Tynan Photo credit: Kayce Tynan

Vacations are almost never cheap. College students generally don’t have the money to spend on a getaway, no matter how needed. But here are some places to check out in San Francisco that will keep wallets from blowing away.

Golden Gate Bridge

The symbol of San Francisco, which spans 1.7 miles, features 360 degrees of spectacular scenery from the ocean and Alcatraz Island to the city itself. To enjoy these views at one’s leisure, it is best to use the sidewalks along the bridge (but bring sunscreen).

The south side of the bridge is home to a cafe, visitor center and gift shop.

Best time to visit: Anytime, preferably in fair weather.

Price: Aside from the potential bridge toll while driving, walking is free.

Japan Town

Japan Town may be small, but it is full of culture. Food and shops fill the buildings near the beautiful Peace Plaza. If there is a good time to to go to Japan Town, it would be in April during the Cherry Blossom Festival, which celebrates the blooming of the cherry trees.

This part of San Francisco is not to be missed by any tourist.

Best time to visit: April

Price: Stores and restaurants can add up, but visiting is free.

Downtown San Francisco

No trip to the city is complete without hitting downtown for some exploration.

From the historical Height-Ashbury streets to Russian Hill, downtown is full of adventure.

Best time to visit: Anytime, but the nightlife is very different. Clubs and bars add a different atmosphere to the city versus walking around during the day.

Price: Free or club admission.

Painted Ladies

The Painted Ladies are a nice diversion to walk or drive by particularly at sunset.

The Victorian style houses line up what is also known as “Postcard Row” and have been the backdrop for movies and sitcoms such as Full House.

The row is across the street from the Alamo Park, a good stop for some rest and relaxation.

Best time to check it out: Sunset

Price: Free

Rasputin’s

Music and movies are wonderful things, and three stories worth might possibly be the greatest thing ever.

Rasputin’s Records is essentially a media shopping mall filled with old movies and CD’s among other mediums both used and new.

It would be easy to spend hundreds of dollars in Rasputin’s but on a budget, one could still walk away with some awesome stuff.

Best time to visit: Just live there if you can.

Price: Varies based on purchase.

Jacob Hutchison can be reached at lindsaypincus.theorion.com or @PoserPunk on Twitter.