• A girl and her dog enjoy the blue cloudy skies and fresh air on a walk in Cannonville, Utah, appreciating the beauty of nature and calming energy it brings. Taken by Ava Aragon on July 29, 2023.

10 ways to celebrate Earth Day

• Photo of Katie Callahan, who ran the event. An art history major in her senior year, she is the single student employed by Wellcat Safe Place. Taken on April 18th, 2024

Affirmative consent: What is it?

1078 Gallery broke, to hold fundraiser

SAM_01000.jpg
Christina Springer, chair of 1078's Music Committee, with remnants of the Gallery's previous exhibit. Photo credit: George Johnston

1078 Gallery needs help. The art gallery is coordinating a fundraiser on September 26 from 6 to 9 p.m. to keep operations running.

Located on 820 Broadway St., 1078 Gallery has been a part of Chico for 34 years operating as a venue for a variety of artists to display their work. The non-profit art gallery had relied on donations from patrons and funding from the city of Chico in the past but in the past year, the City Council has slashed funding to arts programs.

“Being a non-profit in today’s world is very hard with the lack of funding,” said Christina Springer, Chair of 1078’s Music Committee.

The “If It’s Broke, Fix It!” fundraiser is meant to make up the funds the City Council cut.

“We are inviting the community to come down to 1078 gallery to meet the all-volunteer run board of representatives,” Springer said. “Share a snack, have a beer, check out some great local singer-songwriters, and get to know who we are and what we represent.”

Beginning as a music volunteer two and a half years ago, Springer was voted to the 1087 Gallery board of directors last year. She is responsible for community related co-sponsored events as well as being the calendar manager.

Springer had offers from art galleries in Portland, Ore. but she declined them to keep her job in Chico.

“1078 gallery is ultimately why I’ve decided to stay here in Chico,” Springer said. “This local scene that I’m apart of is truly unlike anywhere else I’ve ever been. I’ve been accepted—as a non-musician—by a group of amazingly talented people. We have the best group of musicians in this town, and they all give it their all.”

Donations are currently being accepted here before the fundraiser.

George Johnston can be reached at [email protected] or @gjohnston786 on Twitter.