Madeon too relaxed, security not so much

Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 8.44.13 PM.png
Madeon pumps up the crowd on Saturday, Sept. 19 in an eery green light shroud. Photo credit: Dana Muensterman

It is sad to see “rave culture” turn into something that is solely based on drugs or becoming as intoxicated as possible. It should be more about the experience you have with the people in the crowd, along with feeling the music through your body. Most of the time, the people you meet are cool people. They are friendly, they dance and are there to have a good time.

On Sept. 19, a popular house artist performed at the Senator Theater. Hugo Pierre Leclercq, better known for his stage name, Madeon, played a two-hour set with fellow EDM artist Louis the Child as his opener.

EDM, also known as electronic dance music, has become increasingly popular among college campuses. EDM does not refer to a specific type of music. Instead, it has become an umbrella for different genres such as house, trap, techno, hardstyle, dubstep and bass.

Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 8.45.23 PM.png
Bright lights and loud music are the only ingredients truly necessary for a good show. Photo credit: Dana Muensterman

Generally, concerts at the Senator are packed so full that a mosh pit takes up the entire dance floor or only the front half of the theater is packed, leaving open boogie-room in the back for those who just want to dance.

Most people stood around, scoping the atmosphere around them. Although I gave Madeon the benefit of the doubt, his music was rather difficult to dance to. I noticed I caught myself being torn between how I wanted to dance and what Madeon was giving me to dance to. People around me tried to dance, but it was not quite working. The music was too relaxed for most of the audience.

The security guards, however, were certainly not as relaxed as I had seen in the past. This may be due to past injuries in the venue or a new staff, but security guards were definitely stricter. At most shows, security guards stand around to monitor the outskirts of the show. But during Madeon’s set, security walked through the crowd to individually pick out people who may have had too much to drink.

Overall, there was a solid mix of individuals along with sloppy drunks. Madeon was not my favorite show at the Senator but, as usual, I had a decent time.

Dana Muensterman can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.