Women’s soccer coach scores 200th win

Soccer-Recap-#1.jpg
Shelby Lanksbury was the hero of the game, scoring the only goal and giving head coach Kim Sutton her 200th NCAA victory. Photo credit: Allisun Coote

The Chico State women’s soccer team won its third consecutive game at home on Saturday, Sept. 19, defeating Dominican University of California 1-0. The win gave head coach Kim Sutton her 200th NCAA win capstone.

With the win, the ‘Cats improve to 4-1-1 and the Penguins losing streak continues to three while their overall record drops to 0-4-1 for the season.

The game featured Chico State’s first-year backup goalkeeper Caitlyn Duval, who made her debut after first choice goalkeeper, Mackenzie Boulton, suffered an injury.

The only goal of the game came in the 19th minute of the first half with junior forward Shelby Lanksbury scoring her third goal of the season. After a great display of team passing, the ball made its way to the top of the box where junior midfielder Lindsey Dias was able to find Lanskbury open, who quickly turned and fired a shot that found its mark.

During the game, reliever goalkeeper Duval made nine saves on the 12 shots she faced and did not allow a goal in her Wildcat debut.

The next game for the Wildcats will mark the beginning of conference play and will be on the road against Humboldt State on Sept. 25 at 12:30 p.m.

Carlos Islas can be reached at [email protected] or @CislasRUNews on Twitter.