Chico State is taking back the word queer

Chico State’s Queer Week put on by the Gender Sexuality and Equity Center is about recliaming the word queer and what it means to the individual.

The word queer has been seen as hurtful and derogatory, said Serena Kirk, a senior multicultural gender studies major and coordinator for the GSEC. Kirk knows that with the word queer comes with some discomfort, but she welcomes it and hopes Queer Week events will encourage further discussion.

Eliza Dyer, a junior psychology major is a intern for the GSEC  she views Queer Week as a platform for  public education about the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community.

“Queer week means getting together and educating herself on the issues that queer students and members of the community face and also celebrating those identifies so they can manifest,” Dyer said when asked what the word queer means to her.

Thursday Oct. 10 there will be a “Step into the Closet”  interactive exhibit from 10-2 p.m.  in  Trinity Commons, a safe zone training at studio A in the Merriam Library from 11- 1 p.m. There will also be a discussion called LQBTQ+ 101 in the Cross Cultural Leadership Center at 4 p.m. hosted by Chico Pride.

Friday Oct. 11 is National Coming Out Day.  There will be a Pride March at 5 p.m. in  Trinity Commons. Prior to the march there is a gathering at the Center in Bell Memorial Union room  005. From 6-11 p.m. is the Coming Out for Art Show at the 100th Monkey Cafe and Books at 642 West Fifth St. hosted by the Stonewall Alliance of Chico.

Brooke Barnes can be reached at [email protected].