Overcoming procrastination

Procrastination has plagued all of us at least once during our college experience. Most of us are able to overcome it, but for those that are like me and have a hate-love relationship with it, here are some tips to overcome this evil thing:

For starters, write down everything that needs to be done that day, and then put it somewhere visible, like on the wall or on the bathroom mirror. This is probably the best thing to do in order to get past procrastination, especially if there is a lot that needs to get done. As things begin to start getting crossed off, you’ll start feeling a lot better about yourself — trust me.

The second best thing is going to the library. Being around others who are also needing to get things done can be quite motivational. At least that’s how it is for me. I always seem to get things done quicker at the library because if I feel the urge to go on Facebook or do something that isn’t school work, I feel like I may get in trouble. So that always adds to the motivation to actually get everything done.

Lastly, have someone be there with you to keep you accountable of all the things that you need to get done. That way, if they see you get sidetracked, they’ll be there to keep you focused and on task.

All of these tips have never failed me, and I guarantee that they will not fail you either. So go ahead and try them, it’s not like you’ll lose any time you wouldn’t have lost while procrastinating.

Tara Miller can be reached at [email protected].