Attending class: Students’ first priority

kipping-class.jpg
Illustration by Trevor Moore Photo credit: Trevor Moore

As the first month back in school comes to an end, it often leads me to do some self-reflecting. How many classes have I missed so far?

I can’t stand missing class. As much as I would prefer to sleep in on Tuesdays and Thursdays I can’t because my biology lab is waiting to start at 8 a.m.— with or without me.

In September 2013, Attendance Awareness Month was first celebrated. Its purpose is to recognize school attendance and its connection with academic achievement. It’s an effort to reduce chronic absence.

So if missing class does have a connection with academic performance, then why do some college students, along with students everywhere, have a hard time making it to the hour or so of time that is allotted for class?

Personally, I hit the snooze button too much. I could set five alarms and still turn right back around and continue to sleep knowing I’m supposed to be leaving in five minutes in order to make it to class on time.

At that point, even if I do decide to get up and go, it becomes obvious to me that I’ll be too late to class. Then I won’t bother walking in.

Last week I missed class because my printer took too long to print something for another class. So instead of walking in 30 minutes late, I just waited for my next class. Students don’t always miss class intentionally.

Then there are the times when I don’t study enough for an exam in the days prior, so I skip the class before the class I have a test in, in order to cram as much information in my brain as possible.

Yes, sometimes students miss class to be a student in another class. Interesting logic, right?

But the most common reasons people I know miss class for are usually due a to lack of sleep or hangovers. No one wants to listen to any type of lecture the morning after a night of too many shots and not enough sleep. Some students may power through it, but sometimes our poor decisions overpower our physical energy.

There is no real reason any student should miss class. Attending class can not only help out your grade but can help teach students about the importance of showing up to the things you are responsible for.

As students, our responsibility is showing up to class, so no matter what doesn’t print or where you went last night, class should always be your priority.

Kristina Martinez can be reached at [email protected] or @kristinacsuc on Twitter.