Women’s volleyball team falls to Cal State San Bernardino in 4 sets

_DSC6794900.jpg
Anna Baytosh, sophomore communication design major, leaps up to spike the ball down on her opponents. Photo credit: Ryan Pressey

The rollercoaster ride that is the Chico State women’s volleyball team’s season has hopefully hit the bottom of the hill, with the only track remaining going up from here with four regular season games remaining as the California Collegiate Athletic Association playoff push continues.

The Chico State Wildcats lost in a four-set defeat to Cal State San Bernardino: 23-25, 25-21, 13-15, 17-25.

Set 1: The initial frame was a tough battle between the two squads, with the head coach for Cal State San Bernardino racking up a yellow and red card before the set was over. The ‘Cats had the chance to seize it with a 23-18 lead, only to suffer a back-breaking collapse. The Coyotes scored the next seven points to take the first set 25-23.

Set 2: Deciding that leading is always better than trailing, the ‘Cats burst out to a 6-1 lead in the second set to force a Coyote timeout. The visitors made it close, but the ‘Cats prevailed, ultimately taking the contest 25-21.

Set 3: A tough second match for the Wildcats saw the Coyotes execute like the team that has won 10 straight matches entering the evening. The ‘Cats had no answer and were crushed 13-25 in a tough set.

Set 4: Again, the Coyotes proved they are among the CCAA elite as they led wire-to-wire in dispatching the ‘Cats 17-25 to take the match.

Key Players:

Anna Baytosh, sophomore outside hitter, led the ‘Cats with 11 kills while sophomore outside hitter Olivia Mediano posted 10 kills and 13 digs. Junior middle hitter Ashton Kershner had nine kills for the night. Junior setter Torey Thompson delivered 39 assists and tallied 13 digs. Sophomore libero Shannon Cotton led the ‘Cats with 18 digs. The Coyotes put up 12 blocks compared to the ‘Cats’ one and also hammered away all night to the tune of a .343 hitting percentage while the ‘Cats only converted on .141 of their attacks.

“They’re a big, blocking team and they do get in people’s faces,” said Tommy Gott, assistant coach.

Chico State remains in control of its own destiny, but the margin for error is closing fast as the season winds down. The ‘Cats stood in seventh place entering the weekend; the top eight teams will advance to the inaugural CCAA Championship Tournament.

“It’s just taking it one game at a time. We have to play our style, take every game one at a time and not look too far down the stretch. We know what’s at stake but we control our own destiny,” Gott said.

Nick Reddy can be reached at [email protected] or @NickIsReddy on Twitter.