DIY presents for family and friends
December 7, 2015
Filed under Special Sections
Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.
Email This Story
‘Tis the season to bear gifts to family and friends. I’m guessing a lot of us do not have loads of money to spend, since you know, we’re in college.
Have no fear because I came up with two do-it-yourself gifts that are sure to please: sugar scrubs and a classic snow globe.
For the sugar scrub you will need:
- 1 drop of green food coloring
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 tbsp. of peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
Along with this, you might want to have a jar or something to put the completed sugar scrub in and a pretty ribbon to garnish the final product.
1. Start by microwaving the coconut oil on high for 15 to 20 seconds to get it warm.
2. Add in the sugar, green food coloring and peppermint extract.
3. Mix the ingredients until the coloring is evenly spread. If the mixture is too wet, add more sugar.
4. Finally, put the scrub into your container and your first DIY present is complete.
The next gift is a snow globe. Remember those? It was always so fun to watch the snow fall around the object in the middle.
For the snow globe you will need:
- Mason jar
- Glitter or fake snow
- Glycerin (makes the snow or glitter fall slower and can be found at CVS or Amazon)
- Figurine for the center
- Hot glue gun
1. Start by gluing the figurine to the lid of the mason jar.
2. Add water the mason jar not completely to the top. Mix in the glycerin.
3. Add in the fake snow or glitter.
4. Carefully place the lid on the mason jar. Glue the lid to the mason jar, checking for any leaks. You now have a completed mason jar.
Wrap these gifts and give them out to family and friends. Enjoy the holidays!
Madeline Merlic can be reached at [email protected] or @MMerlic on Twitter.