LGBTQ+ benefit showcases local art

Patio Getaway
Photograph by Lara Rodriguez” height=”200

The fifth annual “Coming Out for Art” show to benefit Stonewall Alliance Center was hosted at 100th Monkey Cafe and Books last friday.

Adelio Haven, the center’s event chair and art director, said the event’s goal was “for there to be a space where people can just be in common” and estimated that close to 400 people attended throughout the night.

The show included works of art by local artists, spoken word performances, music and also had food with a host-less bar. There was also an area where children could play and paint.

“We allow children to enter art and we’ve gotten some really good ones,” Haven said. “The first piece we sold was a kid’s art.”

The proceeds of art sales went to Say Twenties, a LGBTQ+ group for young adults, and the Stonewall Alliance Center, which is an advocacy and support group for the LGBTQ+ community.

Alice Cornwell, a volunteer at the event, has been involved with the SAY 20’s group for three years.

“It is a great way to hang out with people in a positive way that isn’t focused on parties,” Cornwell said.

One of the artists, 18-year-old Butte College student Taylor Donner, joined the Stonewall SAY Teens over five years ago and enjoys the acceptance he finds within the organization.

Tori Zanella, a board member for the Stonewall Alliance Center, said that in the past three to four years, she has noticed a shift in Chico in support of the LGBTQ+ community.

“I think it just shows that Chico is an inclusive community, no matter what their gender identity or sexual orientation,” said Donna Smith, another board member for the center.

Smith hopes that in the future the event can be hosted in a larger location and grow into a strong collaboration with Chico State.

Jessie Severin can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.