Water polo causes waves across campus

Water polo is considered one of the toughest and most physically demanding sports requiring fast swimming, great physical strength and high cardiovascular stamina.

Chico State is home to two teams that play this exciting, exhilarating sport. The women’s and men’s teams, gives students who love polo to continue at the collegiate level.

The women’s season runs in the spring, whereas fall is when the men’s season takes place, but they both work hard by practicing all year.

Both teams are part of Collegiate Water Polo Association, competing against teams such as Cal Poly, Cal Maritime, UCLA, Fresno State and St. Mary’s, which are within the Sierra Pacific division.

The women’s club team maintains a strong bond, keeping the 22 members of the team together.

Junior Kelly Whitney enjoys being a part of a team that gets along so well.

“There are all sorts of personalities on our team which makes it very fun,” she said. “We have a sort of family dynamic, if any teammate was in need of help, every single teammate would be willing to stop what they are doing and help that individual.”

Water polo at Chico State has been in existence since 1985 when the two teams were combined, but in 1999, they became a separate men’s and women’s team.

Kevin Adams, a junior member of the men’s team, describes water polo as a passion.

“Water polo is by far the most challenging sport I have ever participated in,” Adams said. “My fellow teammates are a huge part of my love for the sport too, we all work together in and out of the water. This year we are a force to be reckoned with and looking toward nationals.”

Both the men’s and women’s teams look toward nationals every year as their ultimate team goal. The women’s team competed in nationals in 2008 and 2009 and were ranked No.12 in the nation in 2009.

Senior team captain Adrienne Beaudreau is dedicated to seeing her and the team succeed this year through hard work and lots of practice.

“We strive for greatness through hard work,” Beaudreau said. “We practice all year and play because we love the sport. It is competitive and fun and something I look forward to being a part of every day.”

Water polo, as with all athletics, requires passion as a motivator to play at a collegiate level.

Katie Driesenga, a graduate student on the women’s team, finds her motivation to continue playing water polo because of her team and the bond they have.

“I love the sport, it is one of my passions,” Driesenga said. I have made some great friends and we are our own little family.”