• Safe Space offers a helping hand to those in need in the community. Image generated by Firefly AI by Heather Taylor on March 28.

Celebrating a decade of shelter, adaptability with Safe Space

Women’s basketball team falls short on the road

Sophomore Whitney Branham inbounds the ball against Cal State East Bay in a game on Feb. 5. Photo credit: Jacob Auby

The Chico State women’s basketball team suffered a frustrating loss against the UC San Diego Tritons, 47-68, on Feb. 12 in La Jolla.

The loss drops the ‘Cats overall record to 10-11 and 5-10 in conference play.

First Quarter:

The ‘Cats came out of the gates strong to begin the game, holding the lead over the Tritons resulting in a score of 21-6 at the end of the quarter. At the end of the first quarter a 15-point lead would be Chico State’s largest lead of the game. Chico State was also controlling the rebound battle by a slight lead of 11, compared to UC San Diego’s 10.

Second Quarter:

As the game progressed, the Triton’s began to slowly climb up the score board. The first half ended with a score of 32-29. Sherise Porchia had scored the most points for the ‘Cats at the end of the half with a total of 6. UC San Diego took control of the rebounding battle with 22, compared to Chico State’s 19. The ‘Cats had a field goal shooting percentage of 38.7, compared to UC San Diego’s 35.7.

BarkerWEB.jpg
First-year McKena Barker jumps up to block her opponent in a game against Cal State East Bay on Feb. 5 Photo credit: Jacob Auby

Third Quarter:

The ‘Cats struggled through the third quarter earning only 4 points while UC San Diego raked up 25 for a score of 36-54. At the end of the third quarter the Triton’s had not only taken control of the court but also held control of the rebounding battle with 32, compared to Chico State’s 23.

Fourth Quarter:

At the end of game the ‘Cats failed in retrieving their lead in a devastating final loss of 47-68. The Tritons won the rebounding battle with 43, compared to Chico State’s 35. Both teams performed equally well at the free throw line, Chico State and UC San Diego both shooting at 75 percent. Chico State finished the game with a field goal percentage of 30.5 compared to UC San Diego’s 41.

Key Players:

First-year Sammy DeHart: 7 points, 7 rebounds

Sophomore Natalie Valenzuela: 6 points, 3 rebounds, 1 steal

The ‘Cats next hit the court on Feb. 19 against Cal Poly Pomona at home at 5:30 p.m.

Gabriella Bermudez can be reached at [email protected] or @gabbybermudez2 on Twitter.