Wildcats partake in breast cancer awareness

During the month of October, professional and collegiate teams celebrate and support breast cancer awareness month. An issue that is embraced throughout the country, and especially in the Chico community.

On a national level, there are many teams who partake in wearing the color pink to honor the women and men who have gone through breast cancer. For example, the No. 2 rated team in college football, the Oregon Ducks, wore pink helmets last week to show support.

Just last week the Chico State women’s soccer team wore pink warm-up shirts to show their Wildcat pride. Along with the women’s soccer team, the women’s volleyball team will host a dig pink event this weekend to show their dedication to this great cause.

Emily Duran, a junior on the women’s volleyball team, said she thinks it’s important to show support for the people going through cancer.

“We are wearing pink shirts and holding a baked goods sale to show support” Duran said.

Carly Singer, a senior on the women’s soccer team, has also taken full advantage of helping out breast cancer awareness since a recent family member was diagnosed with breast cancer.

“Every time I’m in a store and they ask to donate a dollar to the breast cancer foundation I do so,” Singer said. “I feel it’s important for Chico State athletes to show support.”

Another way athletes show support is by wearing pink attire with their uniforms like pink wristbands, shoelaces, socks and headbands.

It is important for Chico State athletes not to be afraid to show their support so students on campus can do the same. Just imagine a crowd of rowdy Wildcats rooting on their fellow classmates during a sporting event all covered in pink.

Showing that Chico State cares about the patients and survivors who are going through breast cancer will bring a smile to their face because in a time of need, it’s always good to get support from others.

As October is coming to an end, there should be more and more effort from Chico State athletes and students to rally behind breast cancer awareness month and bring about a positive outcome.

Ben Marquez can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_sports on Twitter.