‘Sexually Violent Predator’ may move to Chico

Smith, 52, may move to Chico. Photo courtesy of the Butte County Sheriffs Office.
Smith, 52, may move to Chico. Photo courtesy of the Butte County Sheriff’s Office.

Fraisure Earl Smith, diagnosed as a sexually violent predator, may move into a new home in Chico, according to a public notice released by the Butte County Sheriff’s Office

Smith, 52, has been convicted of rape with force and the intent to commit rape. Smith was convicted of those crimes in Solano County.

Smith was released in November of 2013, then housed in Solano County motels. He now plans to have a permanent home in Chico because finding a residence in Solano County failed due to public concern.

Butte County Sheriff Kory L. Honea has concerns about Smith’s potential move.

“I believe Mr. Fraisure poses an unreasonable risk to public safety,” Honea said. “Which is why we are opposed to him being placed in Butte County.”

Smith will wear a GPS ankle monitor at all times.

Smith may move to 3413 Bell Road in Chico, according to the public notice. The location is less than five miles from Chico State.

Although this may change, the possibility of this circumstance should be known to all Butte County residents, according to the Butte County Sheriff’s Office.

Bridget Comito can be reached at [email protected] or @bcineg1992 on Twitter.