Chancellor White hosts open forum at Chico State

Chancellor White speaking to the crowd of students and faculty gathered to see him in the BMU.

Aurora Evans

Chancellor Tim White of the California State University system is making campus visits, and Chico was his latest stop where he answered questions from the campus community Wednesday.

Within an hour, topics discussed were tuition, accumulation of college debt and mental health.

The goal of these visits is to hear feedback on the system’s planning, Touchstones and to identify innovation for learning.

Students from Students for Quality Education came, intending to hear why tuition has increased dramatically.

Yvette Rivera, senior year psychology major and president of SQE, never got her question answered in the short time. Her question remained: “If students are prioritized, why isn’t money going toward tuition?”

“We need a strong faculty, staff and student body,” White said when comparing the CSU system to a three-legged stool. “If one gets shorter, we will have lost our essence.”

All findings will be used for public promotions, conferences on best practices and budget request emphasis.

Optimized-IMG_2529.JPG
Senior Yvette Rivera and graduate Marcos Zepeda show their signs on student debt at the forum. Photo credit: Michelle Zhu

Michelle Zhu can be reached at [email protected] or @mmichellezhuu on Twitter.