Sierra Nevada brings exclusive brew to Golden 1 Center

Northeast entry at Golden 1 Center Photo credit: Courtesy of Golden 1 Center
Draught House
Sierra Nevada open-air Draught House Photo credit: Courtesy of Sierra Nevada

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. will be bringing the new Golden 1 Center in downtown Sacramento its original craft beer and sustainability efforts in the upcoming season.

The 10-year partnership will bring many of Sierra Nevada’s award-winning beers while promoting the Sacramento Kings’ commitment to sustainability and locally-sourced foods. This includes aiming to obtain 90 percent of concessions from farms within a 150-mile radius of the arena.

With sources coming from 50 miles surrounding the facility, the Golden 1 Center will be the first arena in the world to run solely on solar energy.

“Golden 1 Center is a special project that emphasizes sustainability and community at the highest levels,” Sierra Nevada founder Ken Grossman said in a news release. “We were excited at the opportunity to share our beer in what we consider our backyard, with friends that share our values.”

The facility, along with what is called the Sierra Nevada Draught House, is set to open in October.

Draught House
Another view of Sierra Nevada Draught House Photo credit: Courtesy of Sierra Nevada

Located above the main entrance, the lounge will allow fans to watch the arena entertainment, while enjoying local brew. Reclaimed wood from Sierra Nevada’s LEED Platinum Mills River facility in North Carolina will be incorporated in the lounge.

In a recent press release, Sacramento Kings President Chris Granger said, “Sierra Nevada has long been recognized as a great California brand, and a pioneer in sustainability and environmental responsibility. They are a great partner to have as we prepare to open Golden 1 Center and we are proud to offer our visitors a nationally-renowned product crafted in our region.”

Featured at the Draught House is an exclusive Kings beer brewed for limited release at the arena. Sierra Nevada Arena Executive Chef Michael Tuohy created this new beer. The Blond Ale highlights a citrus, floral aroma from an abundant addition of whole cone Crystal and Chinook hops, accentuated by mandarin and lemon peel for a very crisp beer.

Sierra Nevada and the Sacramento Kings Foundation are working together to spread awareness about living a sustainable lifestyle, in hopes to inspire arena visitors to use resources responsibly.

Kayla Fitzgerald can be reached at [email protected] or @kaylafitz_20 on Twitter.