Volleyball wins 3-1 against Notre Dame

The Chico State womens volleyball team blocks a spike during their practice. Photo credit: Jordan Jarrell
The Chico State women’s volleyball team blocks a spike during their practice. Photo credit: Jordan Jarrell

The Chico State women’s volleyball team won 3-1 against the Notre Dame Argonauts on Sept. 3 in the Route 92 Showdown, and extended their overall record to 2-1.

The Argonauts scored the first point of the set, but couldn’t gain a significant lead. Notre Dame took control at the end of the first set, because of seven attack errors by the ‘Cats, and won the set 21-25.

Chico State took control of the second set with a 9-4 lead. The ‘Cats gained a 10 point lead and were able to maintain it and won the set 25-15.

The ‘Cats got ahead in the second set because of five kills by first year outside hitter Camryn Rocha. Chico State also had five blocks in the second set, with first year middle hitter Alex Boyle leading the defensive effort with two.

Errors plagued the Argonauts in the third set, as the team earned nine and lost the set 25-17. Chico State earned the lead early in the game and was able to maintain it after scoring five consecutive times.

First year middle hitter Kim Wright lead the ‘Cats offense in the third set with five kills, and a total of 11 in the game. Another key player in the set was senior setter Torey Thompson; she had nine assists in the set and 40 in the game.

The fourth set was the closest with nine ties and four lead changes, as neither team was able to gain a significant lead. Junior outside hitter Olivia Mediano had five kills for the ‘Cats in the fourth set and lead the team with 12 in the game.

Chico State will play in the final round of the Route 92 Showdown on Sept. 3, against the Academy of Art.

Key Players:

Junior outside hitter Olivia Mediano

• 12 Kills
  • 2 Blocks

Senior setter Torey Thompson

• 9 Kills
  • 40 Assists
  • 3 Blocks
  • 25 Digs

Gabriel Moreno can be reached at [email protected], or on Twitter @GabeSports3.