The ‘Cats lose first conference game of the season

Chico State junior defensive specialist Shannon Cotton serves the ball during a home game. Photo credit: Royal T Lee-Castine

The Chico State Women’s Volleyball team suffered their first loss since starting their conference, after falling short 1-3 against the Humboldt State Jacks on Sept.24th.

The loss gives Chico State an overall record of 8-4, and a conference record of 2-1. The ‘Cats previously held a win streak of four, and had not played on the road during their conference.

The Jacks got ahead in the first set by scoring a kill, but the ‘Cats quickly forced a tie with a kill from junior outside hitter Anna Baytosh. Chico State continued to increase their lead by making two more consecutive kills before tying with the Jacks again at three, for a total of 15 times in the set.

The set remained close with 10 lead changes, as both teams fought to get ahead. Chico State fell in the first set 27-29 after an error and two kills tied the game for the Jacks and gave them a two-point lead to give them a 1-0 lead in the game.

The second set opened with the ‘Cats taking an offensive charge with Baytosh making two of three kills in the beginning of the set. Chico State took an early 8-4 lead before the Jacks were forced to take a timeout.

Humboldt State regained their offensive momentum and managed to tie twice in the set with Chico State, before forcing the ‘Cats to take a timeout with the game tied at 16.

The Jacks continued their offensive barrage in the set as Chico State struggled to remain in the game. Humboldt State would steal the second set off of a service ace, securing the second set of the game 25-22.

Despite playing under pressure, Chico State was able to keep an eight-point lead for a majority of the third set off of four kills from first-year offensive hitter Camryn Rocha.

A kill from Anna Baytosh and a service ace from senior setter Torey Thompson would close out the Jacks and would give Chico the first and only set with a score of 25-11.

Chico State opened the fourth and final set with a lead of 8-4 before the Jacks would come back to close their deficit and tie with the ‘Cats 15-15.

The Wildcats would continue the stalemate with Humboldt State tying three additional times before taking the lead 22-20, resulting in the Jacks taking a timeout.

Humboldt State would catch up and tie once again with Chico State 23-23 forcing Chico to take their final timeout. The ‘Cats would fall short after a kill and service ace delivered by the Jacks closed the final set 23-25 and the game 1-3.

Chico State returns to the court on Sept. 30 against Cal Poly Pomona on the ‘Cats home court.

Key Players:

Camryn Rocha:

• 15 Kills
  • 1 Ace
  • 5 Digs

Shannon Cotton:

• 2 Service Aces
  • 16 Digs
  • 8 Assists

Torey Thompson:

• 4 Kills
  • 14 Digs
  • 46 Assists

Gabriel Moreno can be reached at [email protected] or @GabeSports3 on Twitter.