• A girl and her dog enjoy the blue cloudy skies and fresh air on a walk in Cannonville, Utah, appreciating the beauty of nature and calming energy it brings. Taken by Ava Aragon on July 29, 2023.

10 ways to celebrate Earth Day

• Photo of Katie Callahan, who ran the event. An art history major in her senior year, she is the single student employed by Wellcat Safe Place. Taken on April 18th, 2024

Affirmative consent: What is it?

• 2023-24 Chico State men’s golf team in front of Kendall Hall. Courtesy: Jason Haley/Chico State photographer

Chico State men’s golf prepares for upcoming conference championship

Women’s soccer team finds failure on the road

First-year forward Sarah Yang scrambles for the ball during a home game. Photo credit: Aubrie Coley

The Chico State women’s soccer team took on UC San Diego on the Tritons home field on Sept. 25 and lost 3-1.

The loss extends Chico State’s season record to 4-4-1 and their conference record to 0-4. Chico State has yet to lose a game at home but has earned only one win on the road this season.

The first half of the game remained scoreless, as Chico State focused on defense with first-year goalkeeper Caylin Stanley leading the charge. Stanley had four saves in the game and had yet to play this season.

The Tritons took control of the offense in the second half by striking first and scoring at the 50 minute mark. San Diego continued their assault and scored again just six minutes after, to take a commanding 2-0 lead.

Senior midfielder Lindsey Dias scored the first goal of the game for the ‘Cats to prevent the shut out, off an assist by sophomore forward Carlie Reader.

Chico State was only able to take five shots in the game, while UC San Diego took 27, showing a commanding offensive presence. Stanley made seven saves for the ‘Cats in the game to lead the defensive effort, but allowed the third and final goal of the game with just three minutes remaining.

Chico State will return to the field on Sept. 30 against Cal State San Bernardino in the ‘Cats first conference home game.

Kenta McAfee can be reached at [email protected] or @KentaMcAfee on Twitter.