Art tour reveals hidden gems of Chico

Kari Zagan and Chico Country Day Students used the Farmer's Market as their inspiration for one of the six Icon Pedestals done by various artists. Photo credit: Cortneanne Campbell

Chico locals and visitors alike have probably noticed the public art that fills downtown Chico, but there are some hidden gems that are often overlooked.

To help get a closer look at the local art, The Chico Arts & Culture Foundation provides the inside scoop through their art tours. Their mission is to inform the public on the wide array of pieces in the downtown area and bring awareness to the need for donations to keep the artwork alive.

Here is a closer look behind Chico’s hidden gems starting with Salem St. Art Wall:

Board Member, Jennifer Parks, speaks in front of the Salem St. Art Wall done by Dayton Claudio in 1996. Photo credit: Cortneanne Campbell
Close up of Dayton Claudio's fiberglass mural located on the Salem Street parking structure. Photo credit: Cortneanne Campbell
The Chinese Luminary Bench was made in 2005 by Christen Derr in remembrance of the Chinese Worker's contributions to early Chico history. Photo credit: Cortneanne Campbell
Board Member, Mary Gardner, starts off the art tour with the 'Our Hands' sculpture made by Donna Billick in 2003. Photo credit: Cortneanne Campbell
Patrick Collentine and Susan Larsen created the Dancing Trout Fountain outside the City Municipal Center in 2003. Photo credit: Cortneanne Campbell
Board Member, Jennifer Banks, explains how the Diamond Alley Arches were created by Kathleen Nartuhi, David Barta and 3,000 students in 2003. Photo credit: Cortneanne Campbell
This tethered astronaut can be seen floating on the side of Rawbar on Fourth and Broadway. Photo credit: Cortneanne Campbell
Robin Hood was painted by Scott Teeple back when the building used to be a toy store called Sheerwood Forest and is an homage to the Errol Flynn Robin Hood movie from 1938 that was filmed in Bidwell Park. Photo credit: Cortneanne Campbell
Scott Teeple painted trompe l'oeil (to trick the eye) windows above Collier Hardware on First and Broadway.

Board Members Mary Gardner and Jennifer Parks led Saturday morning’s tour group composed of young couples with their kids and some volunteers.

One of those volunteers was Chico State’s Program Director at the Center for Healthy Communities, Jenny Breed. “We could even do a modified tour just for a Chico State club or group of students to show them on-campus art along with the downtown pieces,” Breed said.

Catch them at their next art tour on Saturday, November 19 or contact them through their Facebook to set up a private tour or check out their website.

Cortneanne Campbell can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.