Maddy Butler shares the most unexpected moment in her life. Photo credit: Sean Martens

This is Maddy Butler, a 21 year old junior at Chico State. She is getting her degree in international relations with a minor in women’s studies.

When asked what the craziest, most unexpected moment of her entire life was, she replied by saying, “Ok, well it’s not very happy though.”

After promptly telling her that it was fine, Maddy began to open up about a very sensitive moment that she experienced when moving to Chico.

“My whole life I’ve always wanted to help people and that has always been sort of an abstract, vague desire, but I never had any experience with real hardships that a lot people go through. When I first came here, I met my uncle who was homeless. I became exposed to kind of this whole other type of person. Not a bad type of person, but people who value getting to take a shower every once in a while, or people who value getting a blanket. That was just so surprising for me to have because I got to know a lot of people, and I do know a lot of people right now who are homeless,” Butler said.

After being forever changed by seeing this other side of life, Maddy Butler has worked at the local homeless shelters around the Chico area and says she will continue to do so for a long time to come.

One Response to “Humans of Chico State”

1. Gwen Wallace-Lairson-Brown (ghilary Family Foundation) on November 2nd, 2016 8:16 am

Something I have noticed, thru my grandchildren; is their generation does care about others and not greed. Not, drugs but survival. Green vs. not caring about tomorrow. Rules and laws vs. breaking them. I am very proud of our new generation! They want change and are doing something about it. Maddy Butler; is very special inside and out she shows what needs to be done and is following her calling. Good for you Maddy ! Break those chains of homelessness and show others what is available .

[Reply]

• Humans of Chico State

‘Laugh Now, Fly Later’ is full of predictable weed references

• Humans of Chico State

Mains’l exhibit teaches art in a different way

• Humans of Chico State

Chico State embraces unity at the annual Multicultural Night

• Humans of Chico State

Engineering student starts laser-cutting business venture from the ground up

• Humans of Chico State

Gratitude albums

• Humans of Chico State

Gratitude albums

• Humans of Chico State

Taylor Swift protects her ‘Reputation’ with her new album

• Humans of Chico State

Gratitude Playlist

• Humans of Chico State

‘Bubsy’ should have stayed in the ’90s

• Humans of Chico State

‘Pokémon: I Choose You!’ delivers nostalgia and inaccurate scenes