Perks of being a Chico State student

The sign outside of the new Zen Den located in the Bell Memorial Union. Photo credit: Lucas Moran

Being a college student is about more than just showing up to classes and developing stress-related illnesses. Here are five helpful services available to students that you should probably be looking into, like, yesterday.

Adventure Outings

For students interested in outdoor activities, Adventure Outings, located on the first floor of the BMU, has a lot to offer. In addition to renting out sporting equipment, such as kayaks and backpacking gear, Adventure Outings offers planned excursions where transportation, gear, and expert guides are provided. Any student can sign up for however many trips they desire and novice adventurers are welcome.

Free Contraceptives and Cheap Sex Toys at the Gender and Sexuality Equity Center

The Associated Students Gender and Sexual Equity Center, located in BMU 004, provides many services in addition to being a safe space. Free condoms and other contraceptives are always available, no questions asked. Menstrual products are also available including reusable menstrual cups. Lastly, the GSEC is the only office on campus that sells a variety of sex toys at affordable prices.

Free Tutoring in the Student Learning Center

Never fail a class again with free tutoring sessions through the Student Learning Center. Tutoring appointments only need to be made one day in advance and are available in 15 subjects, including writing, mathematics and study skills. Student tutors are trained and tutoring services can be utilized as many times as necessary.

The Zen Den

Do you have some time to kill and need a place to chill? Is anxiety crushing you from every direction? Are you a fan of hammocks? If so, check out the Zen Den located in BMU 301. The Zen Den II, recently revamped and reopened, is a quiet and comfortable space for students to relax and even get in that coveted between-class nap. Did we mention they have hammocks?

Free Legal Information from Community Legal Information Center

The Community Legal Information Center has provided Chico State students with free legal information for over 40 years. Located on the second floor of the BMU, CLIC offers legal advice in 11 areas of the law, including housing law, misdemeanors and traffic tickets, and disability law. Next time you get a speeding ticket on the way to class, there is no need to call mom. CLIC has you covered.

Lucas Moran can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_arts on Twitter.