Students and faculty gather to protest tuition hikes

Student Protestors strung their banner at Kendall hall to protest the proposed tuition hikes. Photo credit: Daniel Wright

Students for Quality Education gathered today at Trinity Commons to protest the proposed fall semester tuition hikes.

The event began with several speeches from both students and faculty.

“I believe that tuition should not be raised because the CSU is the university for the people,” junior SQE member Radhika Kataria said.

Associated Students Vice President Vu Nguyen agreed with Kataria regarding the unjust rising costs of tuition.

“On top of that we have to face rising costs of textbooks and housing and on top of that they want us out in four years,” Nguyen said.

Students took their banners and signs, marched to the administration building, chanting “No cuts! No fees! Education should be free!”

The protestors then strung their banner at Kendall Hall’s entrance and marched through Kendall Hall, chanting “The students united will never be divided.”

The Students for Quality Education came together on Wednesday, alongside other students, to protest the five percent increase in tuition that will be discussed in Long Beach this month. Photo credit: Floritzel Salvador
Protesters are seen making their way back to Trinity Commons to conclude their march. Photo credit: Floritzel Salvador
Protesters also made their way inside of Butte Hall. Photo credit: Floritzel Salvador
Protesters make their way through the gauntlet and continue to raise awareness across campus about the five percent increase in tuition. Photo credit: Floritzel Salvador
Protestors make their way into the breezeway in and continue to chant about the five percent increase in tuition. Photo credit: Floritzel Salvador
A protestor holds her sign as she makes her way, alongside other protesters, around Kendall Hall. Photo credit: Floritzel Salvador
Protesters are seen in front of Kendall Hall posing for a picture before making their way inside the building. Photo credit: Floritzel Salvador
Protesters are seen holding signs that were directed towards the Board of Trustees. One read: Education Should NOT Be a Debt Sentence! Photo credit: Floritzel Salvador
Protesters made their way to Kendall Hall in order to hang their sign: Stop the tuition increase now. Photo credit: Floritzel Salvador
Chico State students and locals met in Trinity Commons to discuss how this spike in tuition will affect the lives of many students across California. Photo credit: Floritzel Salvador

Daniel Wright can be reached at newseditor@theorion.com or @Danny_W_Chico on Twitter.