Cats receive All-California Collegiate Athletic Association honors

All-California Collegiate Athletic Association honors

Men — First team

Octavio Guzman

Senior, Forward, Bay Point, CA

Guzman was named to the All-CCAA team for the second time during his career for the Wildcats. In 2013, Guzman led the ’Cats with five goals and dished out eight assists on the season. His 15 assists during his career ties him for tenth.

Most memorable moment of the 2013 season:

“This whole season has been memorable,” Guzman said. “Now that we are in the NCAA tournament, anything from here on out will be a huge memorable moment.”

Tyson Crim

Senior, Midfielder, Boise, ID

Crim received his third career selection to the All-CCAA team. During the 2013 season, Crim played in all 20 games. He tallied two goals and assists on the season. He also made it on the top-ten list in assists, tying three others for tenth all-time with 15 career dimes.

“Hopefully the most memorable part is still to come, but having all of my family at senior day was really special for me,” Crim said.

Jake Ward

Senior, Defenseman, Chico, CA

Ward started at defense for all 20 of the Wildcat’s games during the 2013 season, leading the team in minutes played with 1,839. He also scored three goals on the season, with one being a game winner against Cal State Dominguez Hills.

“Seeing our name come up on the screen during the NCAA selection show,” Ward said.

Men — Second team

Luke Palmer

Senior, Midfielder, Davis, CA

Senior Luke Palmer started at midfield for all 18 games he appeared in during the season. He had two assists on the season and took 14 shots. Palmer also represents the men’s soccer program on the Student Athletic Advisory Committee.

“Our win in overtime against UC San Diego. It was a big game in our season and it’s always fun to win in exciting fashion,” Palmer said.

Men — Honorable Mention

Sam Evans

Senior, Goalkeeper, Snoqualmie, WA

Evans led the Wildcats to a 9-1-2 record in the 13 games he appeared in this season. During the 2013 season, Evans became the school record holder in wins (37) and shutouts with (23). He had a save percentage of 0.733 and a goals-against average of 0.59 per game.

“Justin Walmsley scoring the game winning goal in overtime at UC San Diego,” Evans said

Jordan Gorman

Senior, Defenseman, Huntington Beach, CA

Gorman appeared and started in all 20 games this season and was a key leader for the defense of the ’Cats, playing a total of 1,790 minutes, which was second on the team. He had a lone goal on the year against Cal State Stanislaus in September.

“Being selected into the NCAA tournament,” Gorman said.

Women — Second team

Scotie Walker

Senior, Forward, Sacramento, CA

Walker earned All-CCAA honors for the second consecutive season. She was the team leader in goals with five goals and had a game winner against Cal Baptist. Walker was also tied for first in assists with four. Walker finishes her career at Chico State with 14 goals and 12 assists.

Most memorable moment of the 2013 season

“Getting the opportunity to play and practice with my family everyday,” Walker said.

Women — Honorable Mention

Danielle Leiva-

Senior, Midfielder, San Diego, CA

Leiva started all 18 games during her senior year for the Wildcats. She tallied three goals, with a game winner against Cal State Dominguez Hills. Leiva also had one assist on the season. She has also been named to the CCAA All-Academic team three times and was a winner of the Division II Athletic Directors Association Academic Achievement Award.

“Our comeback victory against Cal Baptist,” Leiva said. “It was my first goal of the season and I was able to contribute to the victory.”

Greg Silvia can be reached at [email protected].