Men's basketball finds motivation to keep focused

There are countless ways to lose focus during a long season, especially through a rough game. Preparation, motivation and faith in one’s game and the team can do wonders. As the Chico State men’s basketball team tries to claim its dominance this year, here are some important quotes Wildcat players live by.

Being ready is key, said Jordan Semple, junior foward.

“Never underestimate your opponent and leave everything on the floor for 40 minutes,” Semple said. “We always have to be ready to compete and play our hardest.”

Jordan Barton, a junior forward said head coach Greg Clink emphasizes a famous quote that really sticks with him.

“You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take,” by NHL legend Wayne Gretzky.

“It means if you don’t try you miss out every time,” Barton said. “Take advantage of what you are given, get in the gym more, do the extra reps in the weight room, run the extra mile, because in the end if you don’t you are only limiting yourself to what you could be.”

Rashad Parker, a senior guard, said one of the most influential things he’s learned is that hard work is one of the main keys to being successful.

“‘Stay positive’ and ‘stay focused’ are said a lot, especially since it’s a long season and it’s easy to lose focus and fall off track,” Parker said.

While the season is still young, Wildcat players should never run out of room for motivation as they set goals of being the biggest and most ferocious ‘Cats this year.

Benjamin Marquez can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_sports on Twitter.